Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Know your choices

So, I went to the dentist sometime near the end of my first trimester of pregnancy. It had been a stressful pregnancy. Apparently I’d been grinding my teeth. The dentist said I should get a bite guard. Ugh. Did I ever hate that piece of wax that fit way too firmly on my upper teeth. It hurt, it made it harder to breath and it made me talk funny. The only thing I liked about it was that I could sing songs (i.e “I will Survive”) and laugh at myself in the mirror. But did I mention that the thing hurt? I hardly wore it.
About a year later, when I went for my annual cleaning, I admitted to the doctor that I hardly ever wore my bite guard. What did he say?
  You know a lot of people like ones that fit on the bottom teeth better.”
“What the hell?!?!?!?!?”
“Yeah give me one of those!” And he did -for free. Guess what? The bottom bite guard does not hurt as bad, it’s not as hard to breath and I don’t sound as stupid when I talk.
So, if a doctor ever gives you a medication or treatment plan that you are not comfortable with, ask about all your options. You might be able to find something that works better for you. (and if not just put in a mouth guard and sing “I will survive” after all, laughter is the best medicine).

-Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment