Sunday, May 15, 2011

Your next appointment will be...never

       When I was in 7th grade,  I went shopping at the mall with a friend. I tried on a shirt I liked, but I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to buy it, so I put in on hold.
        “We’ll keep this until we close at nine,” the saleswoman said to me pleasantly.
        “What happens if I decide I don’t want it?” I asked my friend, Amanda, a little too loudly.
        “Shhhhh, you just don’t come back.”
        You just don’t come back. It’s that easy! If you put something on hold and decide you don’t want it, you just don’t return to the store. A staff member will put it back on the rack where it will wait for somebody else to buy it.
        When I moved away for college, I started doctor shopping. Finding the right health care provider is important. You want to find someone with whom you feel comfortable. You need someone who cares about you, and seems to actually know a thing or two about medicine.
        When I don’t like a doctor, I just cancel my appointment and never re-schedule. I usually feel kind of bad about that though. Am I treating the doctor like that shirt I didn't want to buy.? I always assume that they have so many patients, they will never notice I’m gone. Do they deserve to know why I left though? Or do they just think nothing of it? People change doctors all the time. It’s that simple. Or is it?
        I really want feedback here because I seriously don’t know what’s proper. Is there some type of etiquette  we should follow when leaving a health care provider's practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment